Details Application deadline
2017-11-17 Business / Employer name
Project Concern International Job categories
Education & Teaching
Social Worker Job Role
Experienced Position Type
Full Time Organization Type
Musoma Mjini Mara
PCI is a non-profit organization with a mission to empower people to enhance health, end hunger and overcome hardship. Our vision is that the most vulnerable people in the world will have the power to lift themselves out of poverty and will create vital, healthy lives for their families and communities now and in the future. In Tanzania PCI has operated a number of programs in the education, health, agriculture and community development sectors.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
• Provide overall strategic, technical and managerial leadership to PCI Tanzania’s education portfolio in Mara Region with the goal to improving literacy outcomes at primary school level and ensuring the quality of all education component activities. The position is based in Musoma and Report to the Program Director.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Develop and facilitate the implementation of strategies to support the early childhood and primary school activities in Mara Region;
• Ensure integration of ECD/Education activities with other PCI program components.
• Works closely with partner ministries/NGO partners to develop project designs and service delivery models to enhance their effectiveness in the program, in particular RTI/Tusome Pamoja and EQUIP as well as other national ECD/Education partners;
• Design and conducts activities to strengthen district primary school education programming capacity, including program design, technical quality assurance, monitoring and reporting.
• Provide oversight to the pilot education cascade groups in Bunda District and share outcomes and experiences at different levels.
• Collaborate with national and regional government and NGO partner organisations to identify priority technical needs.
• Conceptualize and operationalize a training platform system and teachers professional development system in the three districts in Mara Region to roll out training in the new Std. 1 and 2 decodables in particular the regional education office, the Teacher Training Colleges, the University of Dar es Salaam and the schools/Teacher Resource Centers;
• Identify and adapt best practice approaches and materials, including tools and guidelines, to assist partners in strengthening their education service delivery.
• Provide technical support to the regional and district education leaders as requested and updates to the national Ministry of Education Science and Technology on approaches and activities along with the Country Director.
• Work in partnership with the Monitoring & Evaluation Manager to ensure quality data collection, management, analysis and presentation and to produce quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports.
• Develop and maintains effective learning and collaborative partnerships with key government counterparts, international organizations, networks, and other stakeholders in the Education sector in Tanzania.
• Assist the Program Director and Country Director with identifying networking opportunities and potential niches for PCI in expanding its education portfolio.
• Collaborate across the PCI team implementing the Food for Education program in Mara Region, especially the school feeding, health, agriculture and women empowered (VSL) sectors.
• Work closely with technical advisors School to School and other PCI Global Office entities.
• Implements and ensures compliance in accordance with PCI and USG budgetary policies and procedures,
• Ensures compliance with PCI principles and work ethics.
• Provide input to the development of the quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports with the Program Director
• Ensures proper documentation of activities undertaken and sharing of information.
• Planning & Organizing: Proven ability to effectively allocate resources and plan for the implementation of Program activities
• Strategic Thinking: Proven ability to plan and organize work, requiring in-depth understanding of strategy development
• Communication: Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and an ability to communicate with clients and external stakeholders.
• Judgment, Decision Making and Problem Solving: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Analytical Skills: Proven conceptual evaluative and analytical skills, including ability to identify issues, formulate options and make conclusive recommendations
• Project Management: Practical experience in Program / project management and administration
• Facilitation skills: Demonstrates the ability to articulate, present and promote ideas and issues before a wide range of audience.
• Negotiation & Advocacy: Persuades others and facilitates win-win situations.
• Change Management: Creates new and imaginative approaches to improving effectiveness. Facilitates and leads change initiatives and helps people adapt to the change. Takes responsibility to champion transformations, building ownership and support for the initiatives Creativity and Innovation Creating new and innovative approaches to improving effectiveness and addressing problems. Constructively challenges existing processes and procedures. Takes calculated risks and creates an environment that encourages new ideas from others.
• Teamwork: Ability to lead and gain the support of colleagues, and to help ensure that the office functions as a cohesive team, demonstrating necessary interpersonal skills and sensitivity.
• Technological Awareness: Excellent knowledge, use and understanding of word processing, excel, and PowerPoint
• Master’s degree in primary school education, social science or other related field
• 10 years professional experience in early childhood and primary education and implementation.
• 5 years’ experience working with organisations implementing education related programs.
• Experience with USAID, USDA funded programs a plus, but not required. Experience with other multilateral and bilateral, private groups financing social impact education desirable.
• Experience interacting with Government of Tanzania officials at village, ward and district levels, teachers and communities.