VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the 'last mile' of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation - new systems, programs and technologies - to scale and sustainability in the world's most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.
The Global Health Supply Chain (GHSC) program, supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), provides expert technical assistance to Tanzania to strengthen supply chain systems across all health elements, e.g., malaria, family planning (FP), HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB) and maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH). In coordination with in-country and development partners, GHSC also assists the Government of Tanzania (GoT) health programs by providing strategic planning and implementation assistance; improving the delivery of health commodities to service sites; providing capacity building support to broaden stakeholders' understanding and engagement of the supply chain system; and strengthening the enabling environments to improve supply chain performance. GHSC also provides technical assistance and support for the national implementation of the electronic logistics management information system (eLMIS).
The Software Developer will be responsible for maintaining Tier 3 support of the eLMIS and provide training on OpenLMIS software to the MOHCDGEC and PoRALG through capacity building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Use eLMIS's Web-based bug tracking systems (Jira) to log bugs and enhancements and to update bug resolution status.
- Liaise with the global OpenLMIS Core team to become familiar with the latest architecture and software development practices of OpenLMIS v3.x.
- Utilize global standard practices/templates for software development, to brief on progress being made on software development projects, and to collaborate and contribute to software development practices of OpenLMIS v3.x.
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle (SDLC) by supporting the review of new redesign requirements, finalizing user stories and prioritized backlog in consultation with project managers. Develop and manage release plans.
- Work closely with users to design and develop specifications for software development work including wireframes, report layouts, business rules and user interfaces.
- Work closely with tester(s) to develop test plans for modules and applications.
- Preparing a plan to support long term capacity building to MoHCDGEC and PORALG ICT staff on OpenLMIS code base.
- Prepare technical documentation and user/training manuals for software applications.
- Support the eLMIS transition plan to the National Internet Data Center.
- Conduct regular reviews and evaluations of all systems and related applications and implement improvements accordingly.
- Provide regular updates to the supervisor, technical team, and project management team on work progress and any local database development issues that may be of concern.
- Work as part of the Management Information System (MIS) team and be available for deployment to support the systems and users whenever need arises.
- Participate in in country system linkages in areas of synergies like GoTHOMIS and the HIM project.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one's role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one's approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one's own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
Applicants for this position should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- B.Sc in Computer Science or IT or related field from recognized University/College
- At least five years of experience in developing web-based applications in Java
- Experience with PostgreSQL and PostGIS, proficiency in SQL, and stored procedures.
- Experience with Model - View - Controller (MVC) based application development
- Experience in source control systems such as git, bitbucket, SVN, or CVS
- Experience with deployment management tools (Jenkins, chef/puppet)
- Experience with ant/gradle scripting
- Experience with selenium/jasmine/cucumber automated testing frameworks
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Good communication skills with strong verbal and written English.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team oriented environment but self-managing of own time, take on responsibility and follow-through on assignments.
- Ability to work with Linux operating systems and shell scripting language such as bash
- Familiarity with apache/nginx web server and tomcat/jboss application server
- Understanding of networking and information security
- Experience using software development methodologies
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until May 4, 2018 at 4pm PST. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.