Agency UN Women
Title Programme Associate
Job ID 16373
Vacancy End Date 23/05/2018Background
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the Centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Programme Specialist, the Programme Associate works with and provides support to the members of the Programme Team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the Country Office as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Programme Specialist the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
Provide advanced administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes
• Provide advanced administrative support and inputs in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
• Provide technical guidance to the country offices and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
• Coordinate the collection of information for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
• Contribute to the development or update of standard operating procedures, guidelines, checklists, templates and business processes in programme and project management;
• Review programme data from programmes/ projects for Country Office website;
• Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
Provide advanced administrative support to the financial management of the Programme Unit
• Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
• Monitor budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; prepare periodic reports; finalize FACE forms;
• Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
• Maintain internal expenditures control system; post transactions in Atlas;
• Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
• Prepare and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
Provide advanced administrative support to the Programme Unit
• Oversee all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
• Oversee travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
• Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
• Liaise with high level officials on administrative issues;
• Prepare and assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations; contribute inputs to the materials;
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization
• Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within the Country Office resource mobilization efforts;
• Organize, compile and process information from donors, Country Office and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
• Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
• Coordinate the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.Competencies
• Respect for Diversity
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
• Creative Problem Solving
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Leading by Example
• Strong knowledge of programme management;
• Ability to create, edit, synthesize and present information in clear and presentable formats;
• Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
• Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
• Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
• Excellent financial and budgeting skills;
• Excellent IT skills
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
• Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
• Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
• Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNVpublications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
• Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.Required Skills and Experience
• Completion of secondary education required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in administration or programme management/support;
• Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
• Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
• Experience in supporting a team.
• Fluency in English is required;
• Knowledge of official national language is essential.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from quaified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.