Chief of Party, Vector Control
Based in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports to the Country Representative
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI and its local affiliates manage malaria control programs in 32 countries and are world leaders in malaria control implementation delivering 42 million treated mosquito nets and almost 19 million quality-assured ACTs for confirmed malaria cases in 2016. PSI also supports national Ministries of Health to scale up malaria diagnosis especially in the private sector and to improve tracking of malaria patients through surveillance and health information systems, especially DHIS2.
PSI seeks an experienced, dynamic and innovation-driven Chief of Party (COP) to lead an anticipated $50 million 5-year Malaria Surveillance and Vector Control USAID-funded project in Tanzania with an anticipated award date of December 2018.
This position will be based in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania and will report to the Country Director.
- Lead implementation of a large malaria award in Tanzania. Ensure that activities are implemented according to technical guidance from the donor and global best practices.
- Serve as main point of contact/representative of the project to USAID
- Develop and manage country workplan activities, performance indicators and targets, ensuring timely completion of activities against workplan deadlines.
- Lead the development of quarterly/ annual programmatic reports.
- Produce and disseminate knowledge products and processes (toolkits, case studies, best practices, technical briefing documents, peer review publications, etc.) for national and international audiences to accelerate rapid transfer of best practices.
- Ensure strong country level coordination with partners and PNLP. Ensure strong international coordination with PSI headquarters and PMI.
- Represent the malaria project as required at relevant technical working groups, conferences, workshops, and policy-oriented forums using appropriate media.
- Facilitate senior level policy and dialogue with the sub-national governments and relevant Ministries and partners.
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of USAID resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with USAID standards.
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting including annual work planning with sub-award partners.
- Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds, including finance, and marketing.
- Develop business plan outlining financial sustainability of the initiative.
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections and monitoring of payments.
- Ensure high-quality periodic reporting in line with USAID and PSI requirements (Quarterly and Annual Status reports, quarterly financial reports etc.)
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MPH, MBA, MSc, ME, etc.) or equivalent implementation experience.
- You will have demonstrated knowledge on malaria control and proven experience in managing malaria programs
- Minimum 10 years of successful experience as Project Director or large donor-funded technical assistance teams for project of similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries. Progressively responsible supervisory experience, including: direct supervision of staff; quality evaluation of staff performance and deliverables.
- Sound technical knowledge of malaria and vector control policy and context
- Experience working on large scale LLIN campaign distribution, supporting continuous distribution of LLIN in country through ANC, EPI or other channels, and/or leading research focused on LLIN coverage, durability, and efficacy.
- Knowledge of the global malaria partnership landscape and familiarity with the international donor community
- Demonstrated skills in effectively negotiating with host governments, donors, UN agencies, other USAID projects local organizations and partners.
- Ability to manage agreements and all required programmatic and financial reporting requirements, including sub-grants management.
- Knowledge of USG grant implementation is preferred
- Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day to day operations of the projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent management skills.
- Capacity to effectively deal with and resolve conflict.
- Fluency in English is required
Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or Social Sciences_ 3 Years' experience in HR management with reputable organization Excellent interpersonal and communication skills Experience in HRIS and or IT will be an added advantage Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Swahili
Responsible for organization and coordination of capacity building activities in the organization Conduct orientation program for new employees Compilation of training needs (TN's) for all employees, work together with staffs supervisor or program teams to develop capacity building strategies Support supervisors (Line Managers) in the process of ensuring talents are identified and managed Inform the Benefit and Compensation Coordinator on information regarding new employees and status change in Payroll Address employees' queries/questions in relation to Payroll matter and escalate Manager all types of Leave and provide report on monthly bases Assist HR and Admin Manager on managing health insurance benefit for employees. Provide information to Health Insurance Provider on new and exit employees Provide HR and Administration support to the departments Custodian of HR & Admin records for both staff and office Perform and report on any other work related duties as assigned by your immediate supervisor/CR or his/her designate
Contact Number: (202) 785-0072
This position is contingent upon funding.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.