NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH MWANZA RESEARCH CENTRE
11TH MAY 2018
Research Assistants EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY - INTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal body corporate of the
Government of the United Republic of Tanzania under the Ministry of Health and Social
Welfare. Established by the Act of parliament no. 23 of 1979 with dual mandates, NIMR is a
regulatory authority of all health research activities undertaken in Tanzania. The institute has the
mandate to carry out preventive as well as curative medical research that is beneficial for the
To conduct, coordinate, regulate and promote scientifically and ethically sound, high quality
health research and deliver evidence-based information that is responsive to the needs of human
The Sauti Program is providing Biomedical, Structural and Behavioral Change Interventions in
11 regions of Tanzania to reduce new HIV infections support Planned Parenthood and reduce
prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases. The program focuses on sub-populations central to
the reduction of HIV transmission such as Female Sex Workers (FSW) and vulnerable
populations including partners of female sex-workers and Vulnerable Adolescent Girls and
Young Women (VAGYW). As part of the large Sauti research portfolio, the CARE study is
integrated into the Sauti services. The study aims to evaluate the effect of cash transfer with or
without economic strengthening sessions on the reduction of HSV-2 incidence among VAGYW
aged 15-23 years.
The National Institute of Medical Research – Mwanza Medical Research Center (NIMR-Mwanza
Center) as partner of the Sauti Program will oversee the implementation of CARE Study.
The NIMR led Research Portfolio of the Sauti program has the following vacant position:
Title: Research Assistants – CARE study (8 positions)
Position reports to: CARE Field Coordinator
Location: Shinyanga Municipal and Kahama Town council
Duration: 45 days
1) Prepare Study implementation in collaboration with the study leads
• Support preparation, transportation, storage, packing of study related equipment,
consumables and materials
• Participate in study related trainings including online CITI training.
2) Implement the CARE study procedure in accordance with the protocol
• Engage in recruitment of CARE participants as outlined in SOPs and protocol
• Administer study procedures as stipulated in the protocol including data collection using
ACASI and Case studies.
• Ensure that audio-tapes and paper based data are dully labelled before submitting to the
• Document findings and other information as required by good clinical practice, the study
protocol, the standard operation procedures and routine requirements of the Sauti Program.
• Identify, report and manage Adverse Events with the help of study nurses and Sauti routine
• To respond to all data queries raised by data management and assist in rectifying the
• Report any software problems to the Field Coordinator and install applications software as
related to the research needs.
• Maintain and keep of all research documentation, including: site files, case record forms,
monitoring arrangements, data correction, data collection and storage and data transfer via
secure file transfer protocol.
• Review of the completeness of the data collection forms following data collection exercise.
• Ensure that all audio-files, completed data collection forms and ACASI data are submitted
through the file transfer protocol in a timely manner as per SOPs.
• Assess whether there is any protocol deviation or violation and initiating the protocol
violation procedure by reporting to the Field Coordinator as per protocol violation SOP.
• To ensure participants confidentiality and dignity is assured and maintained all the times.
• Participate in study site progress meetings to discuss the challenges and way forward.
• Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the Field Coordinator.
Qualifications / Experience:
This study involves collecting data among vulnerable adolescent girls and young women.
Therefore, we are seeking female candidates with the following qualifications:
• Degree or diploma in Social sciences, epidemiology or related fields.
• At least one year research experience
• Experience in the following fields are an asset:
o Research involving human subjects
o Qualitative research experience, including conducting focus group discussions
and in-depth interviews.
o Previous work with Key populations in Tanzania
• Evidence of ability to work co-operatively with others to meet tight deadlines
Please apply through post address to:
indicating the title of the position you are applying for on the email subject. The applications should reach us by 20th May 2018.
This is an internal advertisement so we are encouraging those who have previously work with NIMR projects to applyJ2