Finance ManagerUncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact. Zola Electric is a growth-stage start up that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple of years with clean, affordable solar energy. At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We are looking for a Finance Manager for Tanzania to join the team in Arusha and to support our growth strategy in Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Zola Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets (billions of people around the world) with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
Zola Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Zola Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day.
Today, Zola Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire. Zola Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Zola Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit www.offgrid-electric.com.
PositionThe Finance Manager is responsible for lead and manages the operational financial functions of our countries in East Africa, minimizing financial risks and manage the sustainability of operations in the country. The Finance manager leads strategic collaboration, drives and deploys robust financial management initiatives and is responsible for fixed asset and risk management.
- Participate in strategic meetings to contribute to the development of the annual financial strategy and business plan in collaboration with country and group finance staff
- Source and generate new ideas to input into the strategy and provide for strategic adjustments
- Develop implementation plan of financial strategy in collaboration with the team and monitor implementation therein
- Develop annual, quarterly and monthly cash flow projections, Manage bank payment approval processes and proper budget control and compliance
- Monitor country expenditure and review monthly and provide guidance to reduce expenditure
- Implement and oversee financial remedial plans and measures as required
- Monitor the execution of proper reporting on budget and cash flow matters
- Ensure that an effective document management system is in place for country operations (in collaboration with Legal Counsel)
- Accountable for all postings to the country financial ledgers and collaborate with accounting and reporting team, review and approve entries
- Sign-off on monthly reconciliations and review and approve regular expenditure reports
- Review and approve annual financial statements
- Review asset register to check depreciation calculated and validate additions against support documentation
- Coordinate a physical account to test what has been recorded in the asset register to confirm the existence of the assets, ensuring that any missing assets are promptly written off
- Review the insurance policy to ensure it is up to date and that assets are appropriately secured
- Verify physical stock counts periodically, ensure that any stock losses are promptly written off and monitor the maintenance of the asset register
- Devise and implement periodic financial and operational risk assessments in collaboration with the Managing Director
- Carry out internal audits as necessary to assure financial risks are properly managed
- Participate in weekly Core Team Meetings and performance review meetings and communicate regularly with the Country MDs to provide the necessary updates on departmental operations
- Liaise with the central accounting team on accounting and financial reporting matters
- Provide financial advice and counsel to the Country MDs and Heads of Departments and maintain sound working relationships with financial institutions and relevant authorities
- Support the collaboration across functions to understand and resolve problems on the ground
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Finance or Accounting, preferred with CPA or local accounting certification
- 5+ years’ financial management experience, including advanced Excel modeling skills
- Knowledge of financial management principles and financial systems
- Ability to work on EU (at this point the role does not include visa sponsorship)
- Understanding of the local business environment and knowledge of the relevant financial legislation pertaining to the country
- Strategic leadership and planning skills
- Risk and relationship management skills
- Analytical skills, attention to detail and deadline driven
- Required to travel on occasion and willing to work extended hours