TANZANIA CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY
The Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority (TCAA) was established to regulate the civil aviation industry to ensure effective implementation of Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) as provided in the Annexes to the Chicago Convention on the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and ensure a safe and secure civil aviation environment in the United Republic of Tanzania. To meet this mandate of regulating and overseeing the functions of the aviation industry in an efficient, sustainable and cost-effective manner, and provision of air navigation services, TCAA on behalf of The African Civil Aviation Commission ( AFCAC) wishes to announce in line with the AFCAC Constitution and Service Code, that the vacancy hereunder will be available at AFCAC headquarters based in Dakar, Senegal.
JOB TITLE: SECRETARY GENERAL
REPORTS TO: The Bureau
Main function of the job:
As ''Chief Executive Officer” of the Commission in the terms set out in Article 14 of the AFCAC Constitution, the Secretary General who is accountable to the Bureau, is responsible for the general direction of the work of the Secretariat, for proposing the Commission's Work Programme and implementing it once approved by the Plenary Session and for preparing budget proposals and ensuring the sound financial management of the Commission in accordance with the Financial Regulations. Manage the Secretariat as well as coordinate the activities of the Organs of AFCAC, follow-up and ensure implementation and monitoring of Resolutions, Directions and Decisions of the Plenary. Promote civil aviation in Africa through cooperation with the African Union, ICAO and other organizations and bodies in the sector. Implement the Strategic Objectives and Vision of AFCAC.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure the supervision and coordination of AFCAC’s administrative and financial management.
- Ensure the follow-up and implementation of the Resolutions, Directions and Decisions of the Plenary Session, the Bureau and the Monitoring Body of the Yamoussoukro Decision (YD), in accordance with AFCAC’s rules and regulations;
- Represent AFCAC and defend its interests under the directions and with the approval of the Plenary and the Bureau.
- Promote the development of AFCAC’s programmes, projects and initiatives;
- Prepare and submit proposals regarding AFCAC’s Work Programmes, Business Plans, Strategic Objectives, projects, activities and Budgets and secure their implementation.
- Supervise AFCAC administrative and financial management by appropriately managing the budgetary and financial resources, including the collection of receipts approved, originating from various sources.
- Develop financial reports, including the reports about the last three years and a Budget over the three coming years which are submitted by the Bureau to the Plenary Session for approval in accordance with AFCAC regulations.
- Submit AFCAC’s activity reports to the Plenary Session, the Bureau and the Monitoring Body.
- Recruit, administer and lay off in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating to AFCAC’s staff. Ensure that a good succession planning, career development, including capacity building is being developed.
- Prepare and cover the meetings of AFCAC’s Plenary Session, Bureau and Committees.
- Organize meetings and initiate studies when necessary and keep the related records;
- Submit to the Bureau and the Monitoring Body the annual reports about AFCAC’s operations;
- Keep the seal, documents, files and other data relating to AFCAC’s work aimed at improving AFCAC Administrative, Operational and Logistics effectiveness.
- Advanced University degree or equivalent academic qualifications.
- Specialization in aeronautics, economics of air transport or air transport management.
- Must also have ample experience in the management of large and complex organizations, including the most recent standards of management and international governance.
- Excellent knowledge of the civil aviation sector in Africa and having worked for at least twenty years within the sector.
- Excellent communication and management skills.
- Proven Management skills.
- Show commitment and ability to adapt.
- Able to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
- Ability to organise and pilot projects and studies with an international dimension.
- Willingness to travel frequently.
The salaries and allowances will be in accordance with AFCAC Service Code
Duration of Appointment
Appointment will be on a term of three (3) years renewable once only for a further term of three (3) years
MODE OF APPLICATION
Those interested should prepare their Application Letters accompanied with the following:
- Up to date Curriculum Vitae with contact addresses including telephone number(s) and email addresses.
- Names of three Referees
- Copies of Academic and Professional certificates and testimonials
- Birth Certificates
- Two most recent passport size photographs
Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority,
Nyerere/Kitunda Road Junction,
P.O. Box 2819
DAR ES SALAAM
Please note that:
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered;
- Applications not submitted in accordance with the indicated format will be rejected;
- Applications submitted electronically should be in Word or PDF format;
- Suitably qualified Tanzanian women are strongly encouraged to apply;
- Only applicants who are under serious consideration will be contacted and interviewed