East Africa Dairy Development Project Assistant Jobs
Job DescriptionHeifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
FUNCTIONThe East Africa Dairy Development (EADD) II Tanzania Project Assistant (PA) reports to Country Project Manager (CPM) for technical guidance; and works closely with the Finance Manager and other heads of Technical Sections (including Clusters). S/he will support EADD project team to increase operational efficiency in follow-ups, to ensure quality in project deliverables implementation in terms of documentation, project management, relations/ partnership management and communications (swift correspondences). S/he will provide an extra hand support to CPM on coordination and follow-up of activities, development and preview of documents, communication, etc.
EADD- II is an ambitious five-year program designed to transform the lives of 136,000 dairy farming families through a competitive and inclusive dairy value chain in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. [35,000 dairy farming families].
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITSEnthusiastic, Orderly, Compliant, Creative, Determined, Diligent, Self-starter, critical thinker, curious.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Programmatic Follow-up (50%).
- Collaborate with MLE to do follow up on the program periodical reports that are converging to Country Project manager (CPM); and ensure timely and quality submission of the reports to the regional office.
- Preview program reports trailing to CPM’s office for review and approval.
- Ensure increased effectiveness and efficiency of the planning session; and timely submission of the plans (by making follow-ups on the periodical program planning and ensure leadership agenda in the plans is well articulated).
- Support MLE update result tracker/ dashboard for the CPM to efficiently track project implementation monthly.
- Manage Country Project Manager’s calendar Program Activities as appropriate.
- Attend/ following-up program issues routed to CPM’s office.
- Prepare preliminary document prior to CPM reviews and approval (e.g. minutes of meetings, program documents) as requested/ guided prior CPM’s approval.
- Coordinate CPMs daily schedule and other special programs in collaboration with other team members as needed.
- Support in the proposal writing process and follow up the development and implementation of project plans.
Support the monitoring budgets and financial compliance (15%).
- In collaboration with Finance Officer, preview finance documents trailing to CPM for approval, ensuring PO and DIG staff/ leaders can capture and document lessons learned on monthly basis.
- Liaise with the finance team at Cluster and Country offices to monitor staff outstanding balances, and advise CPM and Finance Head accordingly.
Support the Managing relations/ Partnership (30%).
- Attend to visitors and calls directed to CPM’s office; and screen/refer them to CPM only on issues that needs CPM’s attention.
- Liaise with Technical Heads, to develop preliminary partnership documents (such as letters, Memorandum of Understanding -MOUs, and Agreements) for CPM’s actions.
- Proxy representation of CPM’s office (give courtesy) in stakeholder/ farmers and staff meetings and/or forums as and when requested.
- Maintain and follow-up correspondences with partners; and assist the CPM where action needs to be taken or representation made.
- Follow-ups on EADD partners’ and/ or project commitments / pledges made.
- Engage respective technical heads to identify partners, and conduct stakeholder assessment, and share update reports with CPM.
- Support in building positive relations within the team and external partners.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in community development, project management or other related field, plus three (3) years in a mix of dairy production, value chain competitiveness, or agriculture development
- Experience in managing stakeholders and proposal writing.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Experience in developing and planning project plans with clear track record.
- Clear understanding of the dairy value chain and Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development (VBHCD) model.
- Very organized with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in managing the stakeholders’ dynamics.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, program and project development and implementation processes (including planning, monitoring and evaluation).
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in cooperative development.
- Fluency in English (knowledge of other languages spoken in Tanzania is a plus)
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Excellent oral and written reporting skills with the ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations, particularly women and youth
- Working in a multi-cultural setting and commitment to promoting teamwork, gender equality, and sensitivity to hunger and poverty issues
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public
- Ability to travel extensively to the Producer Organizations on short notice
- Positive attitude with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and in sometimes difficult circumstances
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality