Location: Arusha, Tanzania
An ELCA Regional Representative (RR) is considered an extension of ELCA-Global Mission unit (GM) living and serving on the territory of a companion church or within a region in which the ELCA has significant global engagements. The RR works in close collaboration with the East and Southern Africa Desk Director (DD) and is generally involved in all areas related to GM’s strategic engagement with both the international companion churches/institutions as well as with other ELCA constituencies that relate to the same companion/s (mission personnel, volunteers, synods, congregations, Independent Lutheran Organizations, members).In conjunction with the East Africa desk, the RR assists in fostering the ELCA’s relationships with assigned churches, institutions, international congregations, ELCA mission personnel (including volunteers), and programs in the region.
Specific responsibilities for the RR are determined in consultation with the Desk Director and are subject to change depending upon the specific context and work plans. The position has the freedom to act within GM policies and established protocols and practices as defined by the Desk Director.
- Travel regularly to assigned countries guided by work plan determined by the East and Southern Africa Desk Director in keeping with GM policies
- Assist the East and Southern Africa Desk Director to better understand the issues, challenges and strengths of companion churches and organizations in order to make informed decisions on strategic engagement by GM
- Collaborate with companion churches and organizations in their discernment for request of resources (mission personnel including volunteers and global sabbatical program professors, grants, scholarships) and provide input to the East and Southern Africa Desk Director for decision making
- Strengthen companions’ capacity in the PME processes required by Global Mission.
- Facilitate the companion synod and ELCA congregation’s partnerships with companion churches and provide the necessary input to the East and Southern Africa Manager for Relationships in order to assist the companion synods and congregations in the United States to engage in the spirit of accompaniment
- Maintain regular contact/communication with all ELCA mission personnel in assigned countries and provide mentoring and coaching as needed
- Assist with arrangements, on-arrival orientation, and support for all new personnel in cooperation with companion church/agency
- Provide ongoing administration related to logistics of mission personnel in assigned area including budgets and housing
- Participate in annual review and assessment as requested
- Other tasks as assigned by the East and Southern Africa Desk Director
- Maintain a working knowledge of events affecting the assigned countries, churches, and agencies; Monitor and assess the political situations in region
- Interpret the mission and ministry of companions back to the ELCA through newsletters, blogs, and visits to ELCA congregations and members.
- The town of Arusha is part of a growing metropolitan area with a population of around 450,000.It is a center for tourism and for the East African community, with the Rwandan Tribunal located in Arusha.
- Tanzania lies on the Indian Ocean, and is bordered by Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda and Zaire. Although mostly savannah and bush cover are found in Tanzania, the coastal plains have lush, tropical vegetation.The United Republic of Tanzania includes the islands of Zanzibar and Pemba, about 28 miles off the coast to the northeast.The administrative capital is Dodoma, and the commercial capital is Dar es Salaam.
- As Africa’s largest Lutheran church body, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT) claims more than 5 million members.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Degree or certification in Community Development, Community Organizing or Social Sciences is helpful
- Theological degree is a plus
- International experience is required
- Experience in International Development is preferred with a focus on Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation of programs
- Knowledge of Community Organizing or Social Sciences is helpful
- Ability to learn Kiswahili is required
- Knowledge of French or Kinyarwanda is helpful
- Ability to interact effectively and sensitively with persons from diverse backgrounds and levels of education
- Ability to maintain confidentiality concerning sensitive personnel or policy matters
- Initiative and self-motivation
- Willingness and ability to work within a consultative team environment
This position is supported under the terms of ELCA Global Mission Expectations and Support for Long Term Global Personnel. Those provisions include: international transportation, transportation related to work assignment, pensions and major medical coverage, assistance with schooling for children through high school, housing and cash salary which is adjusted according to the goods and services differential for Tanzania.
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a representative of the ELCA and of the receiving church regardless of their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a couple understand the role of missionary and are comfortable with that reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an appointment to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission personnel includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.
General Qualifications for ELCA Global Personnel
- Christian faith and a commitment to the mission of the church
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture where assigned
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding and compassion
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible - sense of humor - good physical and emotional health
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations of the ELCA