Specialist, Monitoring and Evaluation Jobs
Save the Children seeks a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist for the anticipated USAID-funded Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania to be responsible for providing technical guidance on project activities including surveillance and surveys, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), targeted evaluations, information systems, and relating data to program planning. The incumbent will serve as a key M&E expert and primary contact for M&E strategies and implementation for this integrated program. S/he will provide advice, guidance, and coordination to SC and consortium partners, the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC), Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre (TFNC) and other collaborating organizations in the implementation and strengthening of M&E systems for the nutrition and agriculture program activities supported by USAID.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Impact
- In collaboration with the Programme Manager, establish and ensure implementation of a strong M&E system for the Nutrition Project.
- Lead programme baseline studies, formative assessments, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation and other research studies as well as learning events.
- Manage external research organization to deliver external evaluation, operational research, and training of LGAs to undertake nutrition-related operational research in their
- In collaboration with the Programme Manager and implementation staff; regularly review progress on indicators/achievement of targets as per the Logical Framework.
- Develop reports to highlight key project strengths and areas of improvement, and use learning from monitoring reports for project planning and implementation.
- Review accountability to program beneficiaries’ data and reports and provide technical support to the implementation team using key learning from accountability system for program development, planning, improvement, and implementation.
- Identify the Nutrition project staff and partners M&E capacity needs and set aside the M&E capacity building plan for program staff and partners.
- Develop and maintain an Indicator Performance Tracking Tool for the project that will guide the preparation of programme progress updates on a monthly basis.
- Lead monitoring of program quality using quality benchmarks and ensure that findings are shared with relevant stakeholders and explicitly fed back into program decision-making, incorporating accountability and learning.
- Lead compilation of data and reporting on the program to the donor and to SCI global indicators total beneficiaries reach reports.
- Participate and provide input on M&E issues at technical, policy and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with consortium partners, local government, and USAID.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors
- Master’s degree (MSc or MPH) preferred with significant research experience in nutrition, food security, community health, or other related fields from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of five years of experience in designing and implementing M&E programs in complex health, nutrition, and/or food security settings.
- Experience in developing M&E tools and materials.
- Experience in systems thinking and application of complex adaptive systems methodologies is ideal.
- Demonstrable track record in data tracking and evaluation, with the ability to support staff and partners on M&E methodology and analyse and disseminate complex information to a range of stakeholder audiences.
- Well-developed research, analytical (qualitative and quantitative), documentation and report writing and skills, with particular competency in participatory research methods.
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, Statistical Packages, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with experience working in multicultural and value-driven teams.
- Extensive experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa; work experience in Tanzania highly desirable.
- Qualified Tanzanian nationals are highly encouraged to apply.