- Ifakara Location
Other District Other Location
Who we AreThe Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a private, non-denominational, international development agency promoting creative and effective solutions to selected problems that impede social and economic development in parts of Africa and Asia. AKF-Tanzania is part of the AKF-East Africa regional structure that supports programmes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. In Tanzania, AKF is managing a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectorial initiatives that includes programmes in inclusive economic development, health, nutrition, early childhood development, education and civil society strengthening. AKF operations are currently being carried out in Dar-es-salaam, Mtwara, Lindi, Arusha, Mwanza, Morogoro and Zanzibar.
Aga Khan Foundation Tanzania is working towards strengthening capacities of smallholder rice farmers and famer groups to enhance productivity and reduce postharvest losses, in Morogoro region. AKF will implement the rice value chain project to enhance productivity, reduce post-harvest losses, facilitate value chain actors to enhance business services, improve infrastructure and management of post-harvest storage facilities, collective marketing, value addition and market linkages. The overall objective is to increase competitiveness and improve post-harvest value chain efficiencies in the rice sector in Morogoro Region. AKF is therefore looking for well a qualified professional with unquestionable integrity to fill the Project Manager position.
NEW LIST OF JOB OPPORTUNITIES (805+ POSTS)
Work Location: Ifakara
Reports to: Program Manager-Economic Inclusion
To lead project implementation, improving post-harvest management methods, increasing smallholder farmer’s rice yields, access to market opportunities and finance, and strengthening coordination and linkages between market actors.
- Steer project implementation, budget control, human resource supervision, and reporting;
- Ensure quality delivery, impact and cost effectiveness of the project and compliance with donor standards;
- Collaborate with government, associations of rice millers, rice producers and traders to improve competitiveness of rice;
- Facilitate program team and partners to improve small-holder farmer post-harvest practices and rice production quantity and quality; increase smallholder access to market opportunities; and facilitate value chain actors to enhance business services, improve infrastructure and management of post-harvest storage facilities;
- Lead on technical design of project implementation in terms of training methods for post-harvest management, producers and businesses, market linkages, access to finance; AGA KHAN FOUNDATION
- Ensure that the technical work is thorough and appropriately related to realistic conditions, and that farmers using the proposed post-harvest methods, mechanization of post-harvest processes and essentials of farming as a business can realize the results projected;
- Develop annual project work plans to meet project objectives in compliance with donor procedures;
- Plan for long-term capacity development and sustainability to ensure that the project contributes to the empowerment and self-reliance of local people and institutions;
- Closely work with other implementing partners ensuring an enabling environment and coordinated approach;
- Coordinate between the program staff and other departments related to the implementation of the post-harvest management project.
- Minimum of BSc in Agriculture Business or related field. Preferably a Masters in Agricultural Economics but candidates with experience will be looked at closely.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in project management focused on agriculture and in business in a private sector company working in the rice or similar sector.
- Core understanding of market systems approach, working towards systemic change within the rice or similar sectors.
- Strong understanding of post-harvest management and market systems (market development) and how to pursue marketing opportunities for rice farmers.
- Commitment to teamwork with minimal supervision. Must have a good sense for efficiency and effectiveness, and an eye for innovation.
- A strong work ethic, energetic, creative, and willing to learn.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be willing to live in Ifakara, Tanzania and to travel to the field for periods.