Gender Specialist Jobs
Aga Khan Health Services Tanzania (AKHST] – an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) is a non-profit international organization that supports social development programs In Tanzania. AKHST is committed in providing quality health care to patients and promoting health sciences in Tanzania. With this ongoing mandate, The Aga Khan-Health Services Tanzania (AKHST) has embarked on a major expansion that will see the development of tertiary-level services, educational and quality initiatives. AKHST will be implementing a new and exciting project: Improving Access to Maternal and Newborn Health (MNH) in Mwanza, Tanzania (IMPACT). This is a four year Global affairs Canada (GAC) initiative which will contribute to the reduction of maternal and newborn mortality by improving the availability and utilization of gender sensitive – quality MNH services for women and their families in underserved areas of all eight underserved districts of Mwanza Tanzania. IMPACT through a public private partnership (PPP), will work closely with Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC), local stakeholders, the community and local government to facilitate the behavior change, create demand and increase availability and utilization of maternal and newborn health (MNH) services. AKHST is now seeking a qualified Gender Specialist to carry out a qualitative baseline and gender assessment in Mwanza:
GENDER SPECIALIST – 1 POSITION
The Gender Specialist will lead on the planning and implementation of the project’s Gender Strategy and ensure that gender issues are appropriately mainstreamed throughout project implementation; provide technical support during the gender analysis; review project capacity building packages, information, educational and communication materials to ensure they are gender sensitive and appropriately incorporate gender issues; facilitate capacity building of the project staff; monitor and document gender activities including lessons learned and best practices and take part in research.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES ADVERTISED TODAY (375+ POSTS)
- Project planning and design, the specialist will work with the project team and community stakeholders to determine priorities and activities of the project.
- Project implementation, the specialist will facilitate and take lead on gender quality assessment of the project.
- Prepare project gender progress and analytical reports, statistics, gender disaggregated, project briefs and ensure that manaegemnt and stakeholders are up to date.
- Provide technical support and guidance and lead the gender assessment to ensure sufficient data on gender issues gathered to inform the project interventions and that collected data is gender disaggregated.
- Conduct gender training needs assessment and develop training plan and strategy on gender equality and mainstreaming for different levels of staff;
- Identify and develop innovative activities related to gender equality that contribute to social changes in the project area and facilitate the gender learning agenda;
- Initiate gender audits in the project and ensure that all project activities incorporate and promote gender equality in appropriate ways;
- Coordinate all gender related project activities at the field level;
- Work closely with the M&E officer to oversee the monitoring of the implementation of project outputs related to gender and provide appropriate technical advice and support to the project staff and partners during the implementation ensuring that the project is implemented within the set gender objectives and activities;
- Participate in evaluating the project’s gender equality performance and lead on gender equality action planning.
- Prepare project gender progress and analytical reports and statistics, gender disaggregated data, project briefs and ensure that management and stakeholders are updated regularly;
Bachelor’s Degree in Gender, Sociology or related field.
At least 2 years working experience in a health setup
Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
Good organizational skills
Fluent in English and Kiswahili.
Duty Station: Mwanza, Tanzania, the Technician will be required to travel extensively and perform his/her duties at all the five PMCs and project catchment areas.
Complete applications should be submitted electronically to
The Aga Khan Health Services at email@example.com with the subject line of the position or hand delivered to Primary Medical Center – Mwanza and Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam, P. O. Box 2289, Ocean Road, Dar es Salaam.
Closing date for submission of the application package is end of business day on 10th October, 2018