Location: Dar es Salaam
Languages: English & Kiswahili
Salary: Depending on experience with generous share options package
Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables
farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and
spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology,
Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on
Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase
yields, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most
Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact
Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the
European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve
been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and
more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and
The General Manager will be responsible for launching Wefarm in
Tanzania. The ideal candidate for this role will take our proven growth
model, apply his/her own experience, acumen, and expertise, tailor the
strategy to the Tanzanian context, and implement it. The candidate will
also be responsible for managing all day-to-day, in-country activities
and operations, while embodying our company values.
The ideal candidate for this role would have a strong track-record in
setting-up and growing operations, managing people & resources, and
achieving strategic business objectives. They must demonstrate
leadership skill and a passion for Wefarm’s vision. Being comfortable
& thriving in the agile, fast-moving start-up environment will be
essential to the success of this role.
This is a truly unique opportunity to personally establish a stronger
foothold in global technology and agriculture with an award-winning,
high-growth startup. An effective candidate will ultimately play a role
in improving the lives of millions of farmers.
THE LIST OF ADVERTISED OPPORTUNITIES TODAY (444+ POSTS)
• Establish and run the day-to-day operations in Tanzania, ensuring
global coordination (including local set-up, managing budgets,
contractors, staff, and more)
• Work closely with our Global HQ in London to launch Wefarm in Tanzania in line with company standards and brand voice;
• Hire top-level talent that aligns with the Wefarm culture and start-up mentality;
• Help position Wefarm for success within the Tanzanian ICT and
agricultural ecosystems; including government, innovation, farming
• Leverage networks and establish strategic partnerships;
• Execute projects to a high standard and manage suppliers to do so too
• Finding new ways to grow our farmers’ network and reach more rural communities.
• 5+ years of large-scale project management experience; must
demonstrate successful planning, budgeting, overseeing, and documenting;
• 5+ years experience managing teams, especially geographically dispersed field contractors and staff;
• Experience in building strong relationships with senior executives,
partners, media outlets, mobile networks, etc, to meet business
• Understanding of the startup realities with the motivation and resourcefulness to help us scale
• Passion for Wefarm’s vision and product possibilities
N.B. Must have the right to live and work in Tanzania
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
You are given $1,000 USD to sign as many farmers up to Wefarm as
possible in only one week in Tanzania. Please explain the approach that
you would take.
Unfortunately we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.