Tanzania Systems Division Lead
LOCATION TYPE Field
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Tanzania program is currently transitioning
from a start-up environment to a more mature operation. In our 6th year
of operations, we are targeting to serve 50,000 farm families with our
Core Program, employing more than 400 full-time staff. In three more
years, we will more than double in size and add several new regions –
striving to create >15 million $ of Impact. Our Head of Systems is a
person that can demonstrate strong operations management abilities to
help us build the team and operational systems we need to deliver impact
to farmers efficiently at scale.
THE LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (269+ POSTS
• The Head of Systems is ultimately responsible for management, controls
and results of three departments. You will constantly measure progress
against their goals, regularly report on progress, constantly reassess
your team’s priorities and strategically allocate budgeted resources
accordingly and you hold each team accountable for delivering results:
• Business Operations – Department responsible for all client data
(orders and repayments), customer hotline and field audit. We drive
towards timely and accurate data to inform decision and strategies as
well as excellent customer service through timely resolving questions
and issues raised by farmers through our Customer Hotline.
• Logistics – Department responsible for timely ordering of inputs,
inputs storing, overseeing the quality control process and ultimately
for delivering inputs to our farmers. We drive towards timely and
efficient input distributions to farmers – constantly lowering our $/MT
delivered and minimizing redistributions as well as inventory shrink.
• Procurement – Department responsible for all purchases across
departments in Tanzania. We drive towards establishing long-term buyer
partnerships through contracting and negotiations, aiming to drive
significant savings for all departments through bulk purchasing and
secure timely delivery of all orders.
• The Head of System is also playing a key role in the Country Program Management via:
• Managing the Country Coordination Meeting to ensure all teams are
aligned on project timelines and working together throughout the season
• Own the overall TZ Core Program Calendar, ensuring that key activities
such as client enrollment and input delivery take place on time and
that dependencies across teams are properly managed in all
regions/across all AG calendars
• Bring a ruthless focus on cross-team communication to ensure that
major new initiatives/trials are implemented fully across all teams and
even if not initiated by the Systems Division, have a strong grounding
in Systems basics
• You will support your team to break down our Country 5 Year Plan and
long term Vision into prioritized and measurable annual Objectives and
Key Results for the Country and for the Systems Division. You will coach
your team to create annual bottom up budgets that reflects these
strategies and targets. You are ultimately responsible for reaching
these goals as well as keeping your departments within 2% of their
annual budgets targets
• You are a member of the Tanzanian Steering Committee, representing the
System Division whilst also acting as a leader of the Country Program
striving to maximize farmer impact. Together with other key leaders, you
will continue to build up the Steering Committee to an efficient
decision making body of the organization, focused on creating great
long-term program strategy
• Lastly, you are the Tanzanian representative in our Global Systems
Team, ensuring that Tanzania’s achievements and challenges are heard and
understood and you push the Tanzania agenda at the global level. You
help to influence global strategy within the Systems Division
Lead Transformation & Innovation
• You are directly, or via your key deputies, tasked with recommending
efficiency plays and identifying areas for cost savings and program
improvements – guide the transformation of our Systems Division into a
leaner, more efficient, and less complex model which focus on providing
excellent customer service.
• In each department this could look like:
• Completing our mobile money roll out in collaboration with the Field
Innovation team and by working closely with Mobile Network Operators to
reduce barriers in the field
• Support the Systems side of Enrollment on Tablets which will enable us to operate with real time data
• Working with the Tech team to make program data more readily available
to the Field Team and find better ways to utilize the Customer
Engagement team in assisting farmers and improve our Customer
• Working with the tech team to make better use of data to enable route optimization for trucks
• Working to reduce the cost per square meter of warehouse space to reduce our cost per metric tonne stored
• Business Operations – You and your Biz Ops team will lead the transformation to “paperless” through:
• Logistics – You and your Logistics team will unlock future growth opportunities through reduced cost by:
• Procurement – You and your Procurement team will first and foremost
focus your energy to build up our expertise and systems around bulk
procurement, contracting and tendering as well as best in class
• You will provide regular and actionable feedback on trial ideas and
practical support to our innovations teams as they work to integrate new
products and new program design ideas into our core operations.
• You will guide your team through a phase of expansion and actively
review and improve existing communication structures and venues to
facilitate operability as well as the culture of a growingly disparate
team across a large country operation.
• You are detail-oriented and will continuously find new ways to
streamline documentation processing and knowledge management for an
operation that is rapidly growing – by yourself or through your team.
The Head of Systems is at the head of three divisions (Business
Operations, Logistics and Procurement), working in four different
offices and comprising around 30 staff. Our expectations are that:
• You will establish and cultivate strong relationships to ensure that
all staff on the Systems teams can maximize their career performance and
job satisfaction as part of the One Acre Fund team
• You have a dynamic and ‘live’ organizational chart for your Division
as well as Job Descriptions for your full team which ensures you have
owners responsible/accountable for delivering against the key
goals/targets highlighted above
• You develop and maintain processes ensuring that everyone—from your
deputies directly reporting to you to the newest Warehouse Assistant or
Purchasing Officer in our program—is continually mentored, challenged,
and supported by the organization
• This can include, but is not limited to, the following deliverables:
• Bi-annual performance/salary reviews which includes 360 feedback and a self review.
• Bi-annual ‘coffee chats’ which aims to understand and support each individual’s long term career aspirations.
• All staff at JG3+ level always has a development/promotion and a succession plan – reviewed on a monthly basis.
• Weekly check-ins with ongoing actionable and constructive feedback in specific areas of development
• You’ll lead the team through change, guide the team in troubleshooting challenges and provide strategic focus and direction.
• You will take responsibility to drive against our Diversity &
Inclusion targets by ruthless focus on hiring talent from Tanzania into
all open positions and by maintaining and updating succession plans for
every JG3+ position
• Systems Division staff performance is your top priority and you foster
collaboration between your team and HR in order to explore powerful
strategies/ tactics to step change Systems Division staff’s performance –
striving towards an ‘excellent customer experience’ for our farmers and
our direct customers – the Field-facing teams
• You continuously develop a strong set of deputies in your departments –
who have the capability to be future leaders of the organization. You
are responsible for guiding their development and putting them in a
position to succeed in that ambition
As the Head of Systems, you must be are a talented professional with
solid experience in leading large teams and executing at scale. Most
importantly, you have should have strategic thinking skills, as well as
enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced and high-stakes
environment. In addition, you must have a solid track record of
developing talent and fostering professional growth in others. Other
• You are a mission-driven individual that can align 100% with OAF’s values in putting farmers first.
• You have 6+ years of professional experience. Relevant experience includes:
• International development/NGO work – preferably in East Africa.
• Lead One Acre Fund Systems Departments in another country.
• Private sector business, start-up or government work in a developing
country, specifically in Logistics, Procurement or Data Management.
• Any roles which involves heavy focus on driving operational efficiency, rapid expansion and/or project management.
• You have at minimum 3 years direct management experience with strong examples of people development.
• Strong general management skills and ability to manage a wide range of topics across different teams.
• Ability to lead a team in setting a vision, annual strategy and goals and hold everyone accountable to it.
• You are humble and you combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
• Language: English required. Swahili desired.
• A willingness to commit to living in rural areas of East Africa for at least two years, minimum.