IITA is seeking an experienced, highly talented and digitally savvy candidate to fill the position of Research Communication Specialist for the Africa RISING East/southern Africa Project based in Arusha.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future
THE LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (261+ POSTS
Working under the supervision of the Africa RISING Communications and Knowledge Management Leader, the successful candidate will be expected to help develop a communications strategy for the project and implement various activities that will enhance the visibility and knowledge management of the project, with a specific focus fo the donor (USAID), the farming communities, government officials, and project partners as primary audience groups.
Job Title: Research Communication Specialist
Application Deadline: 2018-11-02
Duty Station. The position will be based Arusha with field work travels to project sites in Tanzania and Malawi
- Post-graduate degree (M.A, MSc or Post-graduate Diploma) in Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related field from a recognized university,
- At least 3-5 years relevant experience in the communications field.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and implement communication campaigns, strategies and programs.
- Very good knowledge of oral and written English – we want a writer/communicator.
- Communication and facilitation ‘generalist’ – editing, writing, policy communication, community engagement, Internet tools and skills, information management, process facilitation, reporting and administration.
- Experience in working with different national media.
- Excellent knowledge of modern communication tools and approaches, and solid experience in knowledge management, including ICT and web 2,0 tools applications like wiki, Flickr, slideshare, Yammer, Youtube, Dropbox and blogging.
- Self-starter able to work to agreed priorities and deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Good knowledge of the agricultural development scene in either or both Tanzania and Malawi, key issues and actors etc. will be an added advantage.
Work with Africa RISING research teams in Tanzania and Malawi to:
- Support production of and regularly updating publicity and outreach communication materials including brochures, flyers, posters, videos and infographics (as may be requested).
- Document and communicate news, updates and success stories from the Africa RISING project sites for wider dissemination,
- Organize and manage project information and knowledge outputs for wide access and application.
- Publish and disseminate project results in various forms – print, digital, video or audio – and contributing these to the sharing platforms and tools established by the Africa RISING Program.
- Support and facilitate internal collaboration and communication across projects. This includes support for online tools, face to face meetings, workshops and facilitation, as needed.
- Organize and facilitate regular country learning meetings bringing together project partners.
- Support networking and engagement activities with other actors in the two countries – as a specific contribution to the project’s wider alignment and scaling objectives,
- Provide outreach support at major events by organizing displays, designing and producing posters, arranging booths, negotiating with suppliers, selecting and displaying publications, answering questions, and arranging logistics
- Take lead in training and general capacity of staff and partners on use of various communication tools and information platforms used by Africa RISING.
- Support the innovative use of information and communication technologies (ICT) and digital social platforms to promote collaboration and learning e.g. wiki, CG space, Flickr, Yammer
- Promote adherence to IITA and Africa RISING open access policies
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with the national media (newspapers, magazines, radio and television) and mobilize them for public awareness events
- Support the entire process of documentation of all Africa RISING project research team meetings
- Provide any other communications related support as may be requested
The initial contract for the position is two years with possibility of renewal. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV (4 pages maximum) explaining their interest in the position, relevant documents and testimonials and the names and addresses telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be addressed to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of fhe announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
To find out more about IITA, visit our websites at http://www.iita.org