Head of Entomology Jobs
The Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute (TARI) Kibaha under the Ministry of Agriculture, has the national mandate to coordinate research which is demand-driven and client oriented to solve problems that limit increased production, productivity and quality of sugarcane. Also TARI Kibaha has the mandate of disseminating research results to stakeholders and scientific community, these stakeholders include; sugar manufacturers, miller cum planters and out growers (small scale farmers). SRI seeks a highly qualified and experienced entomology scientist to work under sugarcane entomology research sub-program. The entomology sub-program at SRI conducts insect pest management (IPM) research and implementation under three main components:
Biological knowledge-To study and acquire relevant biological information of each insect pest of sugarcane in Tanzania.
Management knowledge-To study and develop pest management tools for decision making.
Control tactics – To develop and implement in an integrated manner the most effective and efficient insect control methods.
THE LIST OF JOB OPPORTUNITIES ADVERTISED TODAY (421+ POSTS)
This position is responsible for determining/evaluating status of insect pests in sugarcane at Kilombero, Mtibwa, Kagera, TPC Moshi and other sugarcane growing areas and giving advice on their management and control. The scientist will be responsible to work under limited supervision, performs supervisory, administrative work and coordinate within the Entomology Section and other programs of the Sugarcane Research Institute.
Position Head of Entomology Section
- Applicants should have at least MSc degree in plant protection, entomology, pest management, or related field from an accredited University.
- Command of written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Relevant professional career pattern and a record of accomplishments
- To have worked in the field of insect pest management for at least 3 years
- Field experimentation and data analysis
- Practical skills in pesticides use and their application
The Head of Entomology Section will report to the Lead Scientist of Sugarcane Research Program.
- To ensure effective and efficient execution of research activities of the section in the country according to research plans and priorities and advice preparation of national research plan and priorities for the section.
- Conduct demand driven research in the area of sugarcane insect pests’management.
- Guide all scientists involved in research in the section to work together towards a common goal by developing team work, morale and reaching other institutions.
- Mobilize resources from various sources for supporting implementation of research activities in the section and ensure available resources are used in efficient and effective manner to implement research activities.
- Identify team training needs and advice on addressing them, encourage team members to contribute to global knowledge, communicate agreed standards of performance and behaviour among research team members within the section in collaboration with other sections.
- Give attention to technology transfer to the extension services, farmers and other stakeholders and receive the feedback from beneficiaries of results for necessary action.
- Enable, facilitate and ensure effective internal and external team communications and information-sharing among team members on overall progress of the program by using social media, ICT tools and other mechanisms in collaboration with TechnologyTransfer section.
- Update inventories of ongoing and completed research projects related to the section and submit to coordination office to incorporate into program and national database.
- Collaborate with other institutions and ensure regular communication and participation of research team members in related activities including international, regional and national conferences, seminars, workshops and exchange visit.
- For biosecurity, insect pests monitoring and surveillance surveys would be given priority. Identification of invasive insect pests of sugarcane and bio-ecological studies to be made on any new insect pest (e.g. Yellow Sugarcane Aphid) or that which has changed its pest status.
- Research on determination of crop losses and economic injury levels in order to improve and refine the current tools of decision making for pest management by the sugarcane growers.
- In collaboration with the breeder, simple but effective methods of screening sugarcane varieties for resistance to the key sugarcane insects (White scale, Eldana, Yellow Sugarcane Aphid) to be developed and implemented.
- In biological control research emphasis to be put on bio-ecological studies of indigenous parasitoids and predators of white scale and the Yellow Sugarcane Aphid. If necessary introduce, in collaboration with the National Biological Control Programme, known parasitoids or predators from abroad.
- Plan and implement field and laboratory insecticides experiments for control of sugarcane pests
- Provide recommendations for control of sugarcane insect pests using the integrated pest management (IPM) approach with minimum use of chemicals.
- Prepare and submit quarterly, semi annual and annual reports to the sugarcane program lead scientist Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Considerable knowledge of IPM programs, policies, methods and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of coordination, supervision, organization and administration.
- Ability to coordinate, schedule and conduct formal IPM related training with various staff in sugar sector.
- Ability to develop and implement a system-wide IPM program.
- Considerable knowledge of sugar cane regulations regarding IPM is an added advantage.
- Ability to develop and implement work schedules.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to write professional and legible reports.
- Flexibility to work in an environment with seasonal pressures.
General Information: The contract will be for an initial period of one year with possibility of renewal based on performance.
Application: Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background /experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, certificates of relevant course, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
The application should be addressed to the Sub Center Manager, TARI Kibaha, P. O. Box 30031, Kibaha, Tanzania or email email@example.com
Closing Date: Two weeks from the first day of advertisement.J2