Senior Scientist, Gender Specialist (Ref: DDG-R4D/SS/GS/09/18)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Senior Scientist, Gender Specialist. IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA seeks to recruit a Senior Gender Specialist to provide strategic leadership, develop capacities, and undertake gender mainstreaming and research in various programs at IITA. The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists, agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists. He/she will be a member of the IITA Eastern Africa Hub and Social Science group. He/she will report to the Director for Social Science and Agribusiness and Director of Eastern Africa.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES ADVERTISED TODAY (317+ POSTS)
- Provide strategic leadership to the gender mainstreaming, adoptive and strategic gender research activities at IITA.
- Participate and assist in identification and development of gender innovative approaches, qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods for designing gender and social inclusive interventions, data collection, improving the gender M&E indicators and reporting on gender related outputs and outcomes.
- Contribute to gender-based partnership building in the innovation platforms through enhancing and facilitating the technical as well as the advocacy, policy and collective action capabilities of partners and collaborators.
- Conduct comparative case studies to understand commonalities among gender norms and role of agency embedded in diverse cultures, languages, customs, beliefs and values.
- Play an essential role in ensuring gender and social inclusiveness such as youth and other marginalized minority groups in research activities.
- Strengthen collaboration and synergy with the CGIAR Collaborative Platform for Gender Research and represent IITA in this forum.
- Mentor early career gender researchers and recruit and provide supervision to graduate students involved in gender related research.
- Coordinate and expand the gender network at IITA as a community of practice within the Social science group and contribute to the IITA M&E system.
- Be a resource person in gender awareness training for IITA staff.
- Train communications staff to ensure gender-sensitivity in communications and reference to the latest gender approaches in research and development and other staff in gender-related research.
- Contribute to resource mobilization through the development of gender and youth centered/focused Concept Notes and Proposals.
- Publish scientific outputs in peer-reviewed IF journals and others (e.g. books or book chapters, social media, IITA newsletters, technical reports).
- Any other task that may be assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate should possess a PhD in social-science related disciplines (anthropology, sociology, geography, etc.), demonstrate at least 5 years of practical experience in gender mainstreaming and research working in reputable institutions, and have a good record of publications from gender research in respected journals.
The candidate should be able to:
- Use new methodological approaches in gender.
- Conceptualize gender relations broadly.
- Use mixed methods and common software in gender research.
- Go beyond gender to include intersectionality (age, ethnicity, socio-economics, etc.)
- Demonstrate capability for publications for peer reviewed journals.
- Show willingness to travel extensively within the IITA mandate region and beyond.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Work independently in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
General information: The initial contract period is for three years, renewable based on performance and availability of funds. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Applications: Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.