The World Bank Group serves 48 client countries in the Africa Region (AFR). Clients range from low income countries among them many fragile and conflict states to a small but growing number of middle income countries (MICs) but with weak human development indicators. Average annual per capita income varies widely and inequalities persist in most AFR countries, with most of the Region's people living in poverty. The Bank's strategy in AFR is focused on two pillars - competitiveness and employment, and vulnerability and resilience - and a foundation - governance and public-sector capacity.
The Education Sector Unit for Eastern Africa is responsible for policy, analytical and operational work in the education sector in the sub-region. The unit currently has a portfolio of IDA projects, Trust Funds and major studies and technical assistance products in IDA and middle-income countries. The portfolio spans the full spectrum of the education sector from early childhood education to higher education and research. The unit is committed to delivering high quality technical products to support education development in the Bank’s client countries, and to do so in a manner that builds capacity through collaborative interactions with country counterparts.
The unit is seeking a highly experienced Senior Education Specialist / Senior Economist, based in Dar-es-Salaam, to lead the education policy dialogue, provide implementation support for the education portfolio and develop the IDA pipeline in Tanzania, engage in cross-sectoral operations and analytical work. The Senior Education Specialist/ Economist will lead a team of IRS and LRS staff based in Dar and D.C, and possibly work on other countries in the CMU.
THE LIST OF ADVERTISED OPPORTUNITIES TODAY (578+ POSTS)
The advertised position is based in DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania. However, depending on business needs, the selected candidate may work on education tasks throughout the Eastern Africa, and also in the Western, Central and Southern Africa region if required.
Roles & Responsibilities :-
- The selected candidate will report to the Education Practice Manager for Eastern Africa and will be expected to work in close collaboration with the CMU. The selected candidate is expected to work with country office colleagues as well as other team members based in Washington D.C.
- The incumbent will be expected to conduct a high quality dialogue with an experienced client who wishes to learn from relevant international experience adapted to local conditions, while at the same time, providing implementation support to deal with weak implementation capacity and address governance challenges. The selected candidate will have a strategic vision for the country together with a sound understanding of the local context. He/she should be able to support the government in meeting its goals of ensuring universal completion of basic education with quality , and gradually expanding secondary and higher education. He/ she will deepen the participation of Tanzania in regional initiatives such as the Africa Centres of Excellence, the Regional Skills Initiative and PASET, so that the country can benefit from cross-country linkages. The selected candidate will provide overall guidance to the Tanzania portfolio, to ensure its high quality of implementation, and help develop the pipeline, working together with other team members. Identifying and conducting just-in-time analyses and notes to respond to the government’s needs is a priority and identifying areas for policy and/or institutional reforms that could be addressed through DPOs or results-based approaches , as well as working with other GPs are priorities.
- As the portfolio is large, the selected candidate will need to work with and provide guidance to team members / task team leaders based in Washington DC, as well as in the field.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Operations: Design and supervise operations, both as leader and as member of team, in the education sector or multi-sectoral operations, including the full range of Bank instruments. Provide implementation support for the on-going portfolio. Provide timely advice and support to clients in implementing projects and help to build capacity of Ministry of Education to implement its program
2. Policy Dialogue and Building Client Capacity : Conduct sectoral policy dialogue with clients at the highest levels, on a range of complex issues at different levels of education. Identify and nurture opportunities for participating in the broader policy dialogue in the country especially in so far as they impact on education or where the education sector can make a contribution. Build client capacity to use findings of policy research/ analytical work for developing new policies.
3. Technical Advice on key issues in the sector and strategic directions for the country’s education development: Bring relevant international experience and research to assist in developing local solutions, on issues such as strategies to improve teacher quality, basic education, secondary education/ TVET, quality improvement and financing of higher education, early childhood education and use of ICT in education.
4. Analytical work and Non-Lending Services: Design and lead in the preparation of “cutting edge” technical products that respond to critical policy questions identified by the client and which have an impact on policy and operational design. Produce “just in time” notes of high quality as well as lead longer analytical reports. Work on cross-sectoral teams to contribute to products such as public expenditure reviews and implementation of decentralization. Contribute to the country diagnostics and other core analytic work. Contribute to the unit’s analytical work by generating “think pieces” and synthesis papers.
5. Leadership: Work closely with the Practice Manager and education team and the CMU to identify new business, including innovative financial products, technical advisory services and other services, as required.
6. Partnership: Work constructively with partners, including bilateral and multi-lateral donors, UN agencies, NGOs and partners from the South. Contribute to alignment and coordination around country led priorities.
The GP is seeking an experienced, versatile and highly motivated candidate to oversee and develop a large and growing portfolio. The ideal candidate will combine excellent technical capabilities, experience in analyzing policy options and recommending practical policy reforms, and a capacity to translate analytical findings into policy and into innovative Bank operations to help clients shift policies in new directions or to pilot new approaches.
- A Ph.D./Doctorate in Education, Economics or relevant field or a Master’s Degree (in same areas) with a minimum of 8 years of experience is required.
- Demonstrated expert-level knowledge of and experience in addressing education issues. Deep technical knowledge and experience in one or more areas of education of relevance to the country is required plus demonstrated ability to identify, mobilize and supervise high quality international expertise to develop local solutions. Demonstrated combination of analytical rigor and practical/ solutions-oriented approaches.
- Ability to conduct high level policy dialogue with sophisticated clients, including Ministry of Education, Ministry of Finance and other stakeholders
- Excellent writing ability to write short just-in-time notes, briefing papers as well as typical Bank operational and analytical products.
- Extensive experience with preparation and supervision of Bank projects; experience in working across regions would be a plus.
- Prior field experience in another low income country would be desirable but is not essential.
- Ability to lead and mentor a team of professionals with excellent interpersonal skills. Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively across within and across sector boundaries, inspire commitment to excellence and teamwork, and to liaise tactfully as a member of a multicultural team.
- High levels of energy, initiative, and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work program requirements
- Ability to juggle numerous competing demands and priorities, respond quickly to country and management requests, and set priorities for self and others
Sr Education Specialist/ Sr. Economist
Job #: req724
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 10/28/2018 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC