TITLE: Senior Clinical Manager
REPORTS TO: Country Representative
DUTY STATION: Dar es Salaam
EngenderHealth’s vision is a world where sexual and reproductive health rights are respected as human rights, and women and girls have the freedom to reach their full potential. This emphasis on rights directly underpins EngenderHealth’s values and principles: choice, quality, and excellence. To achieve transformational change leading to true social and economic progress, EngenderHealth partners with diverse organizations across sectors with the shared goals of highlighting women’s value to sustainable development.
THE LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (132+ POSTS
PROGRAM: Tanzania Country Program
The Senior Clinical Manager leads the clinical and technical development of and support for an integrated and sustainable sexual and reproductive health (SRH) country program, with an emphasis on Family Planning, in support of EngenderHealth mission, goals, and objectives. S/he will ensure compliance with donor and EngenderHealth medical/clinical and technical service delivery standards and guidelines, provide overall clinical direction and guidance for developing clinical/technical strategies and a clinical research agenda, and build capacity of country clinical/technical staff based on appropriate clinical/technical assistance approaches. The Senior Clinical Manager reports to the Country Representative. Apart from the overall clinical oversight to the County Program, the position will direct supervise the Technical Lead of UBA Lake and Western Zone, FP Technical Advisor UBA Lake and Western Zone, Technical Lead UBA Southern zone the FP Technical Advisor SAUTI Project and the Gender and Youth Manager for UBA Southern zone. He will also leads the Clinical Technical team. The position will be based in EngenderHealth’s Tanzania country office in Dar es Salaam.
1. Provide clinical and technical leadership in the development of and support the realization of the country strategy, mission, goals and objectives, with a focus on integrated sexual and reproductive health in line with emerging scientific evidence, program experience, and SRH rights.
2. Provide technical leadership and strategic direction to the development of rights-based, clinical-related policies, guidelines, strategies and programming tools in Reproductive Health (RH) with a focus on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights including identification and adaptation of emerging and new medical technologies, approaches and techniques
3. Provide leadership on strengthening systems and processes for ensuring clinical quality for sexual and reproductive health projects, ensure excellence in adherence to minimum standards and support achievement of high impact results consistently.
4. Provide leadership on development and improvement of country level systems for clinical quality monitoring and implement routine safeguards for informed choice.
5. Collaborate with the Country Management Team, to support the Ministry of Health, Gender, Elderly, Children and Community Development on development, review and implementation of SRHR clinical policies and guidelines to advance EngenderHealth’s ability to expand effective SRH program implementation in Tanzania, focusing on medical/clinical services and related topics.
6. Provide clinical and technical leadership and oversight for existing country clinical program activities and link clinical and technical expertise with critical country needs, including clinical training and quality improvement approaches.
7. Supervise and provide technical support to the teams at USAID Boresha Afya Lake and Western Zone and USAID Boresha Southern Zone and set performance objectives, conduct periodic performance evaluations and provide coaching as necessary.
8. Attend all meetings set by the primes including but not limited to JPPM, semi-annual review and annual planning meetings and take lead in reviewing monthly and donor quarterly reports
9. Identify gaps in clinical technologies, approaches, guidelines, and standards and lead development of innovative solutions.
10. Work in close coordination with the Clinical Support Team to identify lessons learned, synthesize document, and disseminate clinical and technical best practices, and develop strategies to take best and/or new high impact practices to scale in-country and support replication in other countries.
11. Provide strategic guidance and input for monitoring, evaluation and research activities including ensuring compliance with EngenderHealth, Clinical Support Team, and donor policies, standards, and practices.
12. Provide technical support to the production of program/project reports and related documentation timeously (includes technical review of biennium, annual, semi-annual, portfolio reviews and quarterly reports and where applicable end of project reports)
13. Engage in high level technical discussions with government, donors and partners and represent the country program on scientific and programmatic panels at scientific meetings and other technical working or advisory group meetings.
14. Provide leadership in the documentation and communication of scientific (clinical, quality improvement and programmatic) findings in peer-reviewed publications and reports and presents country program’s work at scientific and technical conferences and for other external audiences.
15. Build and sustain strategic partnerships and collaborative relationships with diverse stakeholders, including country technical staff in countries, in-country partners, local and international NGOs, local governments and development partners.
16. Provide appropriate strategic technical input to nurture and maintain a strong integrated country program, working closely with the country business development unit, global business development team, external funders, and collaborating partners.
17. Contribute to conceptualizing, leading, and contributing to FP/RH, MCH, and HIV proposals for new business development including leading technical designs of proposals that are innovative, comprehensive and result-oriented
18. Support and coordinate the development and implementation of clinical/technical orientation and professional development for clinical/technical country staff, STTA resources, and partners to build country institutional expertise and capacity in quality programming.
19. Ensure coordination with other EngenderHealth global Departments, Teams, and country offices to establish/maintain the country programs clinical/technical leadership in SRH.
Must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation.
MD in clinical care (medical professional, ob-gyn specialist or midwife). PhD in public health, international development, or related behavioural sciences is considered a plus.
Minimum of 10 years demonstrated clinical/technical experience in FP or SRH programs, including proven expertise in the provision of technical assistance, training, supporting quality improvement and service integration.
Five years demonstrated successful clinical research and evaluation experience.
Essential soft skills:
- Substantial experience designing, implementing, and conducting large scale programs and translating evidence into policies, programs, and services for improved FP and SRH in Tanzania.
- Passion for advancing women’s health and women’s empowerment and a strong commitment to the mission and future of EngenderHealth
- Demonstrated experience in family planning service provision, programming and oversight of FP programs
- Demonstrated experience in clinical training and programming for training
- Strong relationships and credibility within the international public health community.
- Excellent professional reputation.
- Substantive record of technical publications or presentations.
- Demonstrated familiarity with international public health sector and international community.
- Familiarity and experience in working with the ministry of health at the national and regional levels to support FP/RH policies and programs development and implementation in the context of health systems strengthening
- The ability to liaise with senior MOH officials, executives of NGOs and senior members of the donor community
- Outstanding ability to interact with experts and collaborators across multiple disciplines, program areas, and cultures.
- Demonstrated record of successes in writing successful grant proposals.
- Ability to function effectively in a team to manage multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and a proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity of technical advisors
- Computer literate, with knowledge of Windows applications, including Excel spreadsheets.
Please submit your application online by 31st October, 2018.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status or disability or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state and local laws .