Value Chain Development Advisor (Consultancy)
Employment Type: Consultant
Location of Assignment: Dar es Salaam and Remote*
Proposed Level of Effort: 182 days
Anticipated Time frame: Nov 2018-Oct 2019
The first projected mobilization trip of this engagement will be for 20 business days and will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, with anticipated travel to ENGINE’s regional offices. The remainder of this assignment will be remote, with quarterly trips of twenty days or more to the Dar es Salaam and the field offices.
The general objective of this long-term engagement is to finalize workplans for and manage activities related to the Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) Program’s three value chain partnerships (dairy, pyrethrum and poultry). In this capacity, the consultant will implement elements of the cooperation agreements with the three lead firms. These alliances will be centered on the identification and implementation of technical assistance, trainings, access to finance-related activities and the strengthening of market linkages between lead firms, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SME) value chain actors and ENGINE-supported Tanzanian Business Development Service Providers (BDSPs). ENGINE will provide technical assistance to the lead firms to support their growth and that of their SME value chain actors. However, the majority of the investments in the businesses and value chains will be made by the lead firms. The strengthening of the linkages in these value chains will address some of the key constraints of the lead firms, which inhibit the further growth of the SMEs in their value chains.
Read Also:BACKGROUND AND JUSTIFICATION:
THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (81+ POSTS
The three value chains that ENGINE has identified are ripe for expansion. However, there are key technical and financial constraints which inhibit their growth and the growth of the SMEs linked to their value chains.
- Work with the lead firms and their SME value chain actors to select equipment for lease or purchase, as a part of their overall business plan.
- Advise on value chain partners’ equipment and access to finance needs and assist in the transactions.
- Coordinate the provision of business development services through ENGINE’s e-Coupon scheme to lead firm SME value chain actors.
- Liaise with senior management on communication and overall progress.
- Coordinate the BDSPs that are ready to provide the products needed by SMEs in the targeted value chains.
- Finalize work plans for the three lead firms’ value chains and develop activities and technical resources to build the capacity of their SME value chain actors.
OUPUTS AND DELIVERABLES:
The consultant will provide the Chief of Party with the following:
- Weekly briefings, including status updates on each lead firm,
- Monthly Progress Report that covers, at a minimum, the following:
- Main consultancy achievements to date,
- Identified opportunities, and
- Recommendations to the project for further business development of the lead firms and their value chains.
-Ten years or more experience in Tanzania (or similar country) in value chain development or SME support programs.
-A master’s degree in a relevant field.
-A documented capability to identify and finalize investment opportunities (in Tanzania or similar country).
-Previous experience in formation of value chain investments and alliances, public-private alliances, or similar, preferable on a program of similar size and scope.
-Understanding of, and practical experience in business capacity development of SMEs & entrepreneurs.
-Knowledge of the recent trends for private sector development and investment creation among domestic and international actors in Tanzania.