OverviewTanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is an indigenous NGO established under nongovernmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2011. THPS works in partnership with the Ministries of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and Regional Administration and Local Governments (PORALG) with a goal of ensuring accessible high-quality health care services to Tanzanians; through strengthening of health systems for quality health services including comprehensive HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, Support and Treatment in Pwani and Kigoma regions.
THPS is currently seeking highly experienced, committed and motivated Tanzanians to fill in the following position for AFYA KWANZA HIV Care and Treatment Program for its Regional office in Pwani:
POSITION TITLE: Medical Laboratory Mentor
REPORTING TO: Laboratory Technical Advisor
LOCATION: Pwani Region with frequent field travel up to 75%
READ THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (22+ POSTS
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION:To provide regional leadership and technical support to ensure THPS supported health laboratories operate in accordance to Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MoHSW) standards, guidelines, and protocols. To maintain continuous functionality of health laboratories to support clinical services for HIV care and treatment and other health problems. Specifically, she/ he will focus on laboratory quality improvement using national and international laboratory standards and support all laboratory and non-laboratory testing to the highest quality possible. The Medical Laboratory Mentor will work in close collaboration with the Technical Advisor Laboratory Services and THPS regional team to ensure the goals and objectives of THPS are achieved.
This position requires a person, who is capable of working independently, fully understands and is committed to implementing quality standards required of an ISO15189 accredited Laboratory.
- To provide technical assistance to facility-level lab personnel, including regular and systematic observation of testing procedures and ongoing site level supportive supervision and mentorship.
- To build the capacity of Regional and District laboratory technologists(RTL and DTL) in providing ongoing mentorship and supportive supervision to the laboratory and non-laboratory health providers in Pwani health facilities
- Build capacity of laboratory health providers in appropriate lab logistics management to ensure uninterrupted lab services across all THPS supported health facilities
- Support laboratory staff to follow written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for every aspect of pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic phases of the testing process in a laboratory.
- Support Ministry of Health laboratories accreditation programs through Stepwise Laboratory Improvement toward Accreditation in the region and facilitate those laboratories selected for accreditation program National and THPS Targets.
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance standards based on national, ISO and other International standard requirements to all laboratories in Pwani.
- Support laboratory staff in Pwani region to implement a laboratory quality management system as per national laboratory policy.
- To provide ongoing mentorship to laboratory staff and health care providers on performing quality laboratory services and interpretation of laboratory parameters”
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of proficiency testing for EQA from laboratory and non-laboratory sites.
- Conduct mentorship and supportive supervision to those laboratories under accreditation process.
- Conduct training programs/continue medical education as appropriate to address gaps identified during supportive supervision.
- Provide technical assistance to facility level lab managers, Quality Officers and other lab staff including establishing routine workflows; developing/refining SOPs, job aides, logbooks, and referral forms as needed; planning of lab activities to improve tests performance and decrease turnaround time, and developing and implementing an equipment maintenance program.
- To provide technical assistance on the roll out of the accreditation ISO 15189 for the zone laboratories and for regional and district laboratories with the WHO guidelines.
- To help implement and monitor efficient documentation of laboratory results at the sites, as well as the effective linkage between laboratories and clinical services.
- Work closely to THPS regional team, regional, council and hospital management teams (RHMT, CHMTs, and HMTs) and other laboratory stakeholders to improve laboratory performance.
- Perform any other activities as may be required by his/her supervisor
READ THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (22+ POSTS
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science, or Molecular Biology and Biotechnology or its equivalent
- Knowledge and skills in general clinical chemistry, hematology, flow cytometry, HIV viral load, and GeneXpert MTB/RIF assays, and serology laboratory procedures National specimen referral system and LIS for HEID and viral load.
- Knowledge and practical experience of the use of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and Laboratory Quality Standards (ISO15189 accredited Laboratory) implementation
- At least three years experience in laboratory related tests and techniques
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Basic computer skills with a minimum of Microsoft word, powerpoint and excel
How to apply:Interested applicants should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching application cover letter one-page maximum and CV four pages maximum by November 25th, 2018 with a subject line for example: Medical Laboratory Mentor Pwani Region. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women and people living with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to apply.J2