Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training, and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for an experienced individual to work as Chief Operating Officer (COO). Reporting to the Chief Executive Director (CED), the COO will play an integral role as a member of the Senior Management team with broad understanding and ability to advise the CED and Management Committee (MC) on all major operations, system and support functions of the Institute.
He/she will plan, direct, and oversee institutional operational policies, rules, initiatives, and goals. He/she will help the Institute execute long-term and short-term plans and directives by implementing judgment, vision, and management by providing direct administrative and management support to the Heads supporting functions of the Institute i.e. Human Resources, Finance, Operations, ICT and Supply Chain (stores, procurement, and logistics) and Branches.
Duties and Responsibilities
Read Also:The COO will have a range of strategic functions as well as operational responsibilities to ensure high performance of key supporting functions of the Institute. This position will support and advice the CED on key matters related to these functions:
THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (20+ POSTS
- Assist the CED and MC in developing and overseeing the implementation of long-term organizational strategies.
- Provide leadership and strategic thoughts on financial sustainability and institutional continuity.
- Exercise leadership on bringing holistic institutional growth and effectiveness of operations as a key person and member of the MC.
- Manage the effectiveness of systems and ICT strategy to deliver outstanding day-to-day services to the Institute. Oversight and operational functions:
- Governance Framework – work with the CED to implement the governance framework, including attendance at Board and Committee meetings; provide high-level updates on operational and financial issues and the overall institution performance across the supporting functions of the Institute.
- Operations (admin, branches, facilities and logistics) – work with branch management and senior administrators to ensure effective administrative support to the research functions and across the Institute; ensure partnership and stakeholder engagement at branch level; effective risk management and legal activities (collaborative letters, contracts, lease agreements, and all other legal documents and agreements) meets institutional standards; support the infrastructure and maintenance units to ensure ongoing management and maintenance of IHI infrastructure and fleet through proper recording of expenditures and revenues generated from the two units, while ensuring adherence to set procedures and funders’requirements, institutional policies, country laws and regulations.
- Financial Management and Legal Compliance – work with the Finance Manager to support and oversee high-level management of finances and financial systems and controls with rigor and integrity; ensure that key processes are carried out and aligned with institutional and donor standards, including financial transactions, bookkeeping, accounting and ensuring accurate and timely reporting; lead IHI financial sustainability plan to ensure long-term results and alignment to the IHI strategy.
- HR Management – work with the Human Resources Manager and team to ensure successful implementation of human resource policies, including fair remuneration, performance evaluation, contracting; new employee’s induction and training; implement the retention strategy and succession plan for key positions in the Institute.
- Business Development and Fundraising – support the CED in fundraising initiatives, liaise with the fundraiser in identifying other sources of core income within and outside the Institute, spearhead innovation, and business development and sustainability.
- Post Graduate Degree in Management. An MBA or similar advanced degree is highly desired.
- A belief in the core values of the Institute and be driven by its vision and mission.
- Demonstrates the passion for breaking new ground to lead change.
- Management experience at a higher level with a not-for-profit organization. Please, note that experience in the for-profit organization would be an added advantage.
- Experience in managing “values-driven” organization will be highly prized.
- A track record of over 10 years in a senior role of successfully developing and managing large-scale projects. Skills and Competencies
- A successful candidate should possess high level strategic, long-term planning, vision and goal-setting, exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate passionately, effectively, and persuasively across a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build and manage teams.
- Skills mix should include organizational development, human resources management, budget and resources development, strategic planning and familiarity with information technology.
- Demonstrate experience in financial planning and analysis, contracts and legal compliance.
- Initiative, judgment, flexibility, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and work effectively under time constraints, services to others and solution oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission of IHI.
- Knowledge of NGO institution and legal frameworks in Tanzania. Familiarity with Government Bilateral and Multilateral Assistance Agencies is desired.
- Fluent in the English and Kiswahili Languages with excellent presentation skills.
- Pursues improvement and results and creates a culture of mutual accountability.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labor laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
To apply, submit the following to the address below: Your CV detailing knowledge, education, and experience; and a motivation letter explaining why you want to be considered for this job. Candidates must be able to provide references.
All applications must be received by Thursday, November 29, 2018. Applications received after the closing date won’t be considered.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Chief Human Resources Officer,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P o. Box 78373;