Project Officer – Energy Technology and Services Lead (Technical Lead) - Kigoma
The project’s main objective is to improve the use of sustainable energy by refugees and surrounding communities in the Kigoma region in Northwest Tanzania. This will further contribute to the prevention or reduction of resource conflicts between the local population of Kasulu and Kibondo districts and refugees in the Nyarugusu and Nduta camps. Improving access to quality cooking and solar energy options to these communities reduces the extremely high pressure on the limited firewood resources and contributes to improving the living conditions of these persons.
• Distribution and Promotion of Improved Stoves & Cooking Practices
Technical assistance in design, production and distribution of local improved cook stoves towards integration of biomass fuels and alternatives (briquettes, LPG)
• Access to High Quality Solar Energy Products & Services
Stimulation of private sector investment to sustained market presence in Kigoma for IFC-Lighting Africa certified solar products and services
Read Also:• Alternative Reforestation Practices Alleviating Reliance on Traditional Biomass
THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (53+ POSTS
Revitalization and introduction to local forestry measures in localized fuel wood production practices including agro-forestry wood lots linked to community reforestation financing
The programme will adapt and extend SNV & EnDev Tanzania approaches and expertise in cooking energy, solar technologies and forestry to engender Renewable Energy Service & Products as an Opportunity in National and Displaced (RESPOND) Markets of Kigoma Region. A humanitarian market-based approach will be employed to improve overall livelihood, enterprise development and employment potentials responsive to the unique needs of each community while working closely together with international and local companies via an approach of:
• Market Based Inclusion & Integration: dedicated and coordinated response mechanisms to each group along with joint capacity building sessions will be undertaken.
• Enabling Actor Energy Engagement: extend opportunity for capacity supports in training to humanitarian assistance players and government. Through mutual planning and implementation of activities, partners will be strengthened to take humanitarian assistance towards a more inclusive and sustainable market oriented approach.
• Performance Based Programming & Financing Supports:market based approaches applying performance incentives (both non-monetized and financial), which animate local and commercial participants to expand their markets to until now untapped and remote regions. These in turn will offer regional residents access to new energy technologies as well as opportunities to take part in economic activities.
Overview of the Position
The Project Officer – Energy Technology and Services Lead (Technical Lead) plays a key role in the overall leadership and implementation of the RESPOND programme. As the lead in-region technical staff member, the Technical Lead plans and implements technical training, installations and product-service development in improved cooking (stove and biomass fuels) and off-grid solar in refugee camps and surrounding host communities. The Technical Lead coordinates ongoing program and product delivery through capacity support to local public and private sector partners.
The Technical Lead is responsible for ensuring that the field team utilizes approaches that are conducive to market and enterprise development, and are implemented to quality standards with evidenced performance results. Under the supervision of Programme Manager – Sector Leader, the Technical Lead is responsible for day-to-day field coordination, program support, project documentation and field office management working in close collaboration with Energy Sector Project Managers to achieve results.
As a senior member of staff and experienced technical staff member, the Technical Project Officer is also responsible for coordinating with the Energy Sector team and for contributing to the overall quality of the SNV Tanzania Energy sector content. S/he will support the quality of technical advisory services and overall integrity of SNV Energy programmes in Tanzania and the national Energy sector.
The Technical Project Officer reports directly to the Programme Manager – Sector Leader and collaborates closely with the Energy sector team.
• Ensure high quality implementation of the project deliverables to the achievement of results in cooking energy technologies, (biomass) cooking fuels and off grid solar products. This will include coordinated dual delivery in refugee and host community of training and congoing coaching that supports technical skills development, entrepreneurship and awareness building.
• Lead improved cook stove technical trainings with cook stove producers.
• Lead, manage relationships and motivate the local project field team, partners and relevant stakeholders; plan and assign agreed local task deliverables in manners that support capacity development and strengthening; facilitate positive relations in a context of diverse social and cultural interests.
• Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting – Collaborate with RESPOND Project Officer – MERV to support timely M&E work plans delivery for regular data collection, results verification, risk monitoring and reporting
• Knowledge, documentation and communication – Ensure full synthesis, analysis and documentation and sharing of project insights and results with respect to energy technology product-service development, delivery-use and quality control.
• Network and Relationship building – Build and maintain effective relationships with the government and local authorities, (inter)national partners and programmes in Kigoma, external partners and the donor.
• Relevant advanced academic qualification in Energy or related discipline w/ minimum of 7 years of working experience in the energy sector and/or relevant programmes in or outside Tanzania. Improved cook stove production and training experience preferred;
• Proven track record in energy project implementation; team work and leadership; programme design, development and resource mobilisation. Improved cook stove and/or alternative biomass fuels project implementation experience preferred. Strong external network in the Tanzania energy sector and beyond;
• Work experience in private sector development, entrepreneurship and value chain strengthening with a proven track record in pro-poor growth approaches taking into consideration social inclusion, gender and sustainability;
• Knowledge and skills in capacity building and coaching, alliance building and multi-stakeholder facilitation, product development and quality control, organisational learning and institutional change processes;
• Proficiency in Kiswahili and English required, with additional language skills in French preferred;
• The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time national position with the successful candidate being contracted on a one-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
Submit your Cover Letter, CV and Salary History on or before 29th November 2018. if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted