Computer Programming Teacher
Job Description – Tanzania Education Corporation
Seeking an entrepreneurial technologist and teacher for a new secondary school located in
Makuyuni, northern Tanzania. Requires an independent and adventurous spirit with a desire to
make a difference with the youth of rural Africa. One year commitment.
THE LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (105+ POSTS
Tanzania Education Corporation (TEC) is a Boston based NGO whose mission is to Educate the
Future Leaders of Tanzania. TEC has worked with Tumaini Junior School, a high performing K-7
primary school in the town of Karatu since 2009. In its first ten years of operation, Tumaini Junior
School has consistently ranked in the top 1-2% of schools in the country. Tumaini Senior Secondary
School is a new four year (Forms 1-4) secondary school which opened in January, 2016. The new
school is located in the neighboring village of Makuyuni, an hour and a half from Arusha, and has a
TEC is developing a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) education program to enhance
the standard government curriculum to include computer programming.
The goals of the program are:
i) Provide students with digital skills to help them be more competitive in their further education or
ii) Provide coaching and instruction to school faculty in technology so they can adopt digital tools
into day to day teaching
- Collaborate with a second programming teacher to oversee the computer programming course and development of curriculum.
- Teach classes for Forms 1 and 2. In Form 1, students focus on typing, word processing, and basic programming concepts using block-based teaching aids. In Form 2, students use block-based teaching aids to learn more advanced programming concepts, followed by a transition to writing actual code.
- Fully realize the program’s unique opportunity to incorporate interesting projects and instruction methods into classes, thereby encouraging student engagement and creativity.
- Maintain the school’s computer lab and hardware resources.
- Assist Tanzanian teachers in increasing their technology skills as needed and when requested.
- At least a bachelor’s degree
- IT proficiency demonstrated through coursework or relevant work experience
- Basic knowledge of hardware to maintain a school computer lab
- Teaching experience and international experience in Africa are both highly desirable
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to learn from and work successfully in a different culture
TEC will cover the costs of round trip airfare, visa expenses, as well as local housing and will
provide a stipend to cover living expenses.
Contact: Frank Lee, Tanzania Education Corporation, firstname.lastname@example.org
BENEFITS TEC will cover the costs of round trip airfare, visa expenses, as well as local housing and will
provide a $500 monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
English, Swahili would be a big plus.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY