Associate Professor in Language and Literacy Education
The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 13 teaching sites in 8 countries. It is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity, gender or national origin. Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programmes in nursing, medicine, and education for and in countries in East Africa. The Aga Khan University- Institute for Educational Development, East Africa (AKU-1 ED, EA) invites applications for the following position based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania:
Job Title: Associate Professor in Language and Literacy Education
- Design, teach and evaluate the literacy and language course and Masters level course(s) independently and/or in collaboration with concerned faculty members and take these through various academic committees;
- Lead Masters courses in the area of literacy and language;
- Co-teach courses at a comparable university as assigned and/or facilitate courses/sessions as guest lecturer;
- Be available for course participants requiring guidance for their assignments
THE LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (79+ POSTS
- Lead research and coordinate in the area of language and literacy;
- Supervise Master’s level dissertations;
- Publish articles in international and peer refereed national / international journals;
- Publish book chapters and consolidated research reports in the area of language and literacy and other related areas;
- Present research findings / papers at international and national conferences;
- Promote research and scholarly activities within the academic unit.
- Write grant proposals to obtain funding from external sources and to review theses prepared by other faculty for the same.
- Conform to University’s policies and established performance norms for evaluation of students/ course participants ensuring that this is based on fair and equitable parameters, and provide required feedback to students for the same.
- Provide consultancy to national and international organizations in an area of expertise or field of interest
- Chair committees at AKU-IED: University-wide committee(s) or participate as a member;
- Provide leadership in professional organizations, editorial boards and committees; international professional associations; and national projects;
- Participate as member/lead academic boards in AKU and/or other universities;
- Chair/co-chair sessions at national and international conferences.
- Participate in continuing professional development programmes for self-development, and also engage in other professional development activities to keep self-updated on current practices and trends in teacher education and education development. This should be in consultation with the supervisor/ mentor.
- Encourage freedom of inquiry and broad differences of opinions on debatable matters amongst course participants and/or faculty members
- Mentor less experienced faculty members to facilitate their development for teaching and research
- Perform any other assignment as advised by the supervisor or the Director, AKU-IED
- A PhD degree in the relevant field with at least 8 -10 years of related work experience at successively higher faculty levels, including preferably teaching at a college/university.
- Considerable experience in research, teaching, academic writing and publishing
- The faculty member will normally have held the position of Assistant Professor for a period of 5 years at AKU or a comparable institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to develop team members, and undertake complex assignments involving interdisciplinary coordination.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical and communication skills in both oral & written forms.
- Excellent academic writing skills.
- Good Liaison with other Universities & educational institutions.
- Proficiency in writing research proposals and conducting research
- Ability to supervise and guide research activities
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For further information, please visit http://www.aku.edu
Applications close: Open until position is filled.