If you love a challenge, working with children, and are looking to make a difference, we need you! We are looking for a mature, organized and flexible individual with excellent interpersonal skills to manage our volunteer program at the Rift Valley Children’s Village (RVCV) in rural Tanzania. RVCV operates in partnership with the Tanzanian Children’s Fund and is home to 97 orphaned children. The Children’s Village is located in a remote and impoverished village in Karatu District, adjacent to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
This full-time position will offer you the opportunity to make an important difference in the lives of our children by helping our volunteers have a positive impact on the village and a meaningful experience during their stay. The volunteer program is a critical component of our organization, and RVCV hosts as many as 80 volunteers each year (approximately 5 to 10 at any given time).
Read Also:The Volunteer Coordinator is a member of the senior staff at RVCV, and contributes to decisions related to the operation of the Children’s Village. He/she will be responsible for oversight of all aspects of the volunteer program, and act as an important liaison between the volunteers and the staff. He/she will also play a crucial role in the daily/weekly program of RVCV children, as well as extra planning and supervision of events over school vacations and special holidays. He/she should be able to both work independently as well as part of a larger team.
THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (49+ POSTS
The duties of the Volunteer Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
In-Office organization: 20%
- Responding to all email inquiries regarding the volunteer program
- Scheduling and preparing volunteers to work at RVCV
- Maintaining a detailed volunteer calendar of arrivals, departures, housing arrangements, etc. in Microsoft Excel
- Managing volunteer postings online and partnerships with volunteer placement organizations to aid in the recruitment of volunteers
- Creating and maintaining files (hard copy and electronic file) on all volunteers
- Liaising with the U.S. office
- Applying for Work and Residence Permits for qualifying volunteers and foreign staff
Interpersonal Volunteer Relations: 30%
- Meeting and greeting volunteers and overnight visitors, conducting orientation and tours
- Daily management of volunteers; determining, scheduling and supervising volunteer job duties
- Conducting weekly group meetings with the volunteers to discuss plans, problems and concerns. Providing support, counsel and training as needed
- Scheduling days off for long-term volunteers and Sundays off for all volunteers and foreign staff
Children’s Program: 40%
- Overseeing volunteers running morning classes, supervising playtimes, making snack and breakfast for the children.
- Coordinating weekly class schedules for our Day Care program, which consists of informal morning and afternoon classes at RVCV taught by volunteers
- Planning special holiday events and activities for the children during school breaks
- Helping discipline all children and liaising with the Counselors when necessary
- Distributing and managing our stock of clothes, and shoes—for 97 children! Including conducting clothing swaps two times per year, and shoe exchanges weekly
- Communicating with the HR director on volunteer/staff relations
- Helping with in country travel arrangements, including transport, hotels, safaris, etc. as needed for volunteers and visitors
- Determining the most needed items at RVCV and communicating all needs to the U.S. Office
- Receiving and managing shipments of donated supplies
- Keeping the library, preschool room and all materials for class times stocked and organized
- Coordinating with the Volunteer House cooks on meal planning
- Assisting Executive Director with special projects
- Must love kids! Experience or training in teaching or childhood development is helpful but not required
- Candidate must be outgoing, friendly, easygoing, and patient with all types of personalities coming from all walks of life, as well as open-minded to different experiences and cultures
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Experience managing junior staff, volunteers or interns a plus
- Initiative driven and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Team oriented and collaborative
- Ability to thrive living in a very beautiful but rural setting in Africa
- Experience living abroad for six months or more is helpful but not required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strict minimum commitment of 1 year required; 2 year commitment preferred
- Sense of humor and positive attitude
- Be part of a small grassroots non-profit that is having a huge impact in the lives of children and in the wider community, through holistically addressing the root causes of poverty
- Live in one of the most beautiful, peaceful areas in East Africa with ample chances to see wildlife and forge authentic connections with students, teachers and local villagers.
- Be confident that you’ll be working for an organization that has strong accountability structures, and incredibly well regarded both in the region and on a global stage
- Have autonomy in your role, collecting experiences, honing your professional skills, and preparing you for your next endeavor in international development
- Enjoy being part of a dynamic, closely knit team of professionals who approach challenges with humor, and find creative solutions to problems
- Eat really delicious banana bread, watch the sun going down overlooking the Ngorongoro crater, and have the opportunity to meet a wide range of visitors and volunteers from around the world.
How to Apply: To apply, please send us your cover letter and resume through this link at the end of this advert.
- $650 monthly stipend ($7,800 a year)
- $2,000 airfare allowance/year
- Room and Board including private apartment, all meals, internet, local phone, and housekeeping support; transport to town as needed.
- Health insurance for term of service
- One month annual leave per year of commitment
English fluency required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED