Job Title: Project Assistant (Open to Tanzanian nationals only)
Organizational Unit: Education Sector
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Contract Type: Service Contract
Annual Salary: Approx. 33,695,000 Tanzanian Shillings (TZS)
Deadline (midnight, EAT time): 22 December 2018
Title: Project Assistant
(Only nationals of Tanzania can apply for this post) Organizational Unit: Education Sector
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania Type of contract: Service Contract
Annual Salary: Approx. 33,695,000 Tanzanian Shillings (TZS) Deadline (midnight, EAT time): 22nd December 2018
Read Also:OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
THE PREVIOUS LIST OF NEW OPPORTUNITIES (79+ POSTS)
- Background The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has received funding for a project whose purpose is to improve the sexual and reproductive health (SRH) outcomes of adolescents and young people (10‐24 years) in the United Republic of Tanzania through increased access to high quality, age appropriate and gender transformative sexual and reproductive health education and services. UNESCO hereby seeks applications from qualified candidates for the position of Project Assistant. The incumbent will be based in Dar es Salaam. This is a Service Contract for an initial period of one year, which may be extended based on availability of funding and candidate’s performance. The appointment is subject to a six-month probation. The salary is in accordance with UNESCO scales.
- Duties and requirements Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office, the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer – HIV and Health Education and in close consultation with the Regional AIDS Advisor, ESA, the incumbent will:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Prepare documents necessary for the launch of procurement processes and issue contracts;
- Assist in the coordination of project related administrative and financial matters;
- Assist the National Programme Officer in the design of project specific material pertaining to management and financial issues in support of project implementation
- Provide support on all administrative matters concerning the project including travel plans, travel authorization, monitoring of travel budgets, hiring of consultants liaising with appropriate units
- Provide support to administrative and logistical arrangements for meetings, workshops and courses in connection with the Project.
- Establish and maintain an organized filing system for all financial and administrative related project issues
- Assist National Programme Officer to Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Assist the National Programme Officer in maintaining accounting records of project financial transactions and performance for all resources by providing necessary financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against indicators and results
- Ensure that all resources are adequately accounted for on regular basis, including settling of acquittals.
- Ensure financial reports are supported by original receipts, invoices or payment statements and timely submitted to the Finance and Administration Office and follow-up close of the activity/contract.
- Assist the National Programme Officer to ensure that all project related funds request and payment are accompanied by original supporting documents as per Financial Regulation and submitted in timely way.
- Maintain adequate administrative records and contribute to the smooth running of the office by ensuring the provision and maintenance of office equipment, inventory of physical assets
- In accordance with the Work Plan assist to coordinate and contribute to the procurement of equipment, supplies and services.
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures of project equipment, supplies and services in a transparent and cost effective manner
- Assist in the coordination of equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNESCO procedures;
- Clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for project;
❑ A university degree in a relevant social sciences field, such as project management, economics,
finance, accounting or administration
❑ At least 3 years of relevant work experience, in administrative work and accounting/finance is
❑ Previous experience in development assistance or related work especially in the UN will be an
❑ Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
Fluency (oral and written) in English and Swahili. Fluency in other local languages would be an added advantage
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in Tanzanian Shillings and exempt from income tax. More details on the ICSC Web site. Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your application letter, personal CV and UNESCO CV format, in English making reference to post- Project Assistant (HIV and Health Education), Tanzania, including contact details of 3 referees: By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or By hand or delivery post:
UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office Plot 59 Mtwara Crescent, Oysterbay P. O. Box 31473, Dar es Salaam United Republic of Tanzania
Applications are to reach UNESCO no later than the 22nd December 2018, (Midnight East African Time).
Please note that you MUST use the UNESCO CV Form
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
A written test may be used in the evaluation of shortlisted candidates.
UNESCO is committed to gender equality in its programming and to gender parity within the Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.J2